Proposed Cuts to Medicaid – Act Now!
Thanks to Medicaid, thousands of Idaho families are receiving the care they need during these unprecedented times, including care for chronic conditions, regular diagnostic and preventive screenings, mental health services, and coronavirus testing, treatment and vaccines. Not only is Idaho seeing savings in health coverage, but other parts of Idaho’s economy are benefitting from Medicaid expansion. A recent Idaho Press article highlighted these savings, as budget analyst Jared Hoskins said two divisions of the Idaho Department of Corrections have seen millions in savings thanks to Medicaid expansion.
“So in theory, if Medicaid expansion was to be repealed, those savings would no longer be realized and you would likely see a corresponding increase in the budget in those amounts,” said Hoskin.
Despite these savings, the raging public health crisis and economic downturn, Idaho lawmakers are looking at cuts to Medicaid during the ongoing 2021 Legislative Session. Thanks to federal Medicaid relief, Idaho can fully fund Medicaid during the pandemic and economic recovery without budget cuts.
Over the next few weeks the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee will be reviewing and setting the Medicaid budget. Now is the time to contact these committee members on the importance of Medicaid and keeping it whole. Join us in an urgent action asking legislators prioritize health coverage during the pandemic and to fully fund Medicaid.
To find your legislator and send an email, you can go to: https://www.closethegapidaho.org/take-action/take-email-action/. You can also send an independent email, make a phone call, or send a written letter.
- Exempting Groceries from the Idaho Sales Tax and Eliminating the Grocery Tax Credit – Executive Summary (2017)
- Grocery Sales Tax (2016)
- Food Deserts (2015)
- Grocery Tax Credit (2014)
- Staggered Issuance of SNAP Benefits (2014)
- Wage Justice (2013)
Letters and Testimony Before the Idaho Legislature
- Fair Taxation (testimony, 2016)
- Child Support (letter, 2015)
- Fair Taxation (testimony, 2015)
- Protecting Idaho’s Grocery Tax Credit (letter, 2014)
IIRAH’s Spring & Fall Forums
Program: The Rent Eats First (spring 2019)
- Presenter biographies
- Powerpoint: Housing Affordability in Idaho
- Housing Market Overview – Erik Kingston
- What You Can Do to Make a Difference and Bibliography
- If You Want to Learn More – links to additional organizations
- Photos from the event
Program: What Shall We Do About ALICE? (spring 2017)
Program: Exploring Justice in the Food System (spring 2016)
Program: Food Deserts in Idaho (2015)
- Handout: Definition and implications of food deserts
- Report: Duck Valley Food Security
- Presentation: Idaho’s First Mobile Farmers Market
- Presentation: Duck Valley Indian Reservation Food Security
- Presentation: Food Deserts
- Response from an attendee: ‘The public meeting…affected me personally’
IIRAH actively communicates with the public during the Idaho legislative session to increase awareness of key issues as they arise. Please visit our email archives for a recap of our advocacy efforts, and subscribe to our mailing list for future updates.