Spring Forum Follow-up
Nutritional Security – It’s not just about full bellies
Eliminating hunger goes beyond feeding people. Nutrition impacts overall health and well-being, as well as cultural identity.
If you missed the presentation, you can download a recording of it: https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/pVxO4iWx3vZY6w1qY3BYR6UMUbwzCTzUtSG5KulTEt6nriEDqrSH7J-wGtHGUaCH.ZVO-TEHSG7MZw3MI. Access Passcode: 1yFn.Z4p
ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- If you are involved with a food pantry, encourage them to ask clients about special dietary needs.
- If you donate to a food pantry, consider donating foods that are wheat/gluten free, dairy free, soy free – any of the common allergens or foods that are culturally relevant to the population served by the pantry (e.g. immigrants from a particular area)
- Donate (and encourage others to donate) money rather than products. That allows the pantry to purchase nutritious perishable items or special needs items that they might not otherwise be able to provide.
- Share what you have learned, and speak up to correct misperceptions.
- Follow nutrition/hunger-related issues in the news or on the internet. Learn more, and become an advocate
Resources from the April 28, 2022 Forum on Nutritional Security
IHRTF – Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force
Our vision is that in a state as abundant as Idaho, hunger will not exist.
Our mission is to put private and public resources into action statewide in order to eliminate hunger and provide food security for all Idahoans.
THC – The Hunger Coalition – Blaine County, ID
BUILDING COMMUNITY THROUGH FOOD
Good food inspires joy, connection, health, strength, and the courage to make a difference. The Hunger Coalition believes everyone has the right to good food.
FRAC – Food Action and Research Center – National Organization
Working to End Hunger in America – FRAC improves the nutrition, health, and well-being of people struggling against poverty-related hunger in the United States through advocacy, partnerships, and by advancing bold and equitable policy solutions.
USDA Economic Research Center –
State Fact Sheets – The ERS State Fact Sheets provide information on population, income, poverty, food security, education, employment/unemployment, farm characteristics, farm financial indicators, top commodities, and agricultural exports. Links to available county-level data are included where applicable.
USDA Food and Nutrition
CDC Community Guide – https://www.thecommunityguide.org/topic/nutrition
Child Nutrition Reauthorization Act